Pages

Friday, March 10, 2017

Macro Musings Podcast: Larry White

My latest Macro Musings podcast is with Larry White. Larry is a professor of economics at George Mason University where he specializes in monetary economics and monetary history.

Larry joined me to talk about India's demonetization's efforts and Austrian macroeconomics. This was fun and fascinating conversation throughout.You can listen to the podcast on Soundcloud, iTunes, or your favorite podcast app. You can also listen via the embedded player above. And remember to subscribe since more episodes are coming.

Related Links
Larry White's Homepage

1 comment:

  1. This was an excellent discussion, one of my favorites in the series.

    What happens when interest rates are too low?

    I feel like the "Austrian" answer to that question might be... "unsustainable boom that leads into a recession, for example, see the 2000s."

    Whereas I think a monetarist would be inclined to say "rising price level, double-digit inflation, see the 1970s".

    I'm sure I'm oversimplifying that, but it boils down to a question I've been wondering about since I started learning about monetary policy and prices.

    If rates were too low (relative to the natural rate, I guess) in the early 2000s, then where was the inflation? If rates were too low in the 1970s, then where was the unsustainable boom and then bust?




    ReplyDelete